Studying at Javeriana University

Visa and Immigration Requirements

Temporary Student Visa (TE):

Any foreign student interested in studying at Javeriana University as a regular academic student with a minimum class hour intensity of 10 hours per week, or in virtue of a Student Exchange Program, must request a Temporary Student Visa (TE) before the Colombian Consulate at their Country of origin. This Visa is granted for a maximum term of one year, with multiple entries.

The TE Visa does not allow the student to work in Colombia, however, when the academic program requires the student to comply with a professional practice, the visa will state such requirement once it has been certified by the University.

The lists of the specific documents that must be presented before the Colombian Consulate in order to obtain the TE Visa are found in the following document:


Temporary Visiting Visa (TV):

This visa must be requested for the first time before the Colombian Consulate in the Country of origin, and may be granted to persons interested in traveling to Colombia in order to attend academic seminars, conferences, short term studies (less than 10 hours per week) or participate in cultural events that will not be compensated. The TV Visa is granted for up to 180 days, and allows multiple entries. This Visa should be requested at least five (5) working days in advance.

Documents Required:

  • Valid passport.
  • Visa application form (2 copies) completed and signed
  • 3 recent color photographs (3x3cm).
  • Copy of the return airplane ticket.
  • Most recent bank statement (Original and copy).
  • Letter of invitation from the sponsoring organization, a Colombian national, or a resident in Colombia. The letter must be written in Spanish and must state the purpose and duration of the trip.  
  • The applicant must call the Consulate for a personal interview.

Please keep in mind that processing time may vary as permission from the Colombian Foreign Affairs Ministry is necessary before the visa can be issued. Furthermore, all documents issued in other languages must enclose a translation into Spanish.

Temporary Visitors that do not require a Temporary Visiting Visa (TV)

Citizens from the following countries traveling to Colombia for tourism or as temporary visitors do not require a Visa to enter the country:

Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei-Darussalam, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Korea, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Antigua and Barbuda, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Rumania, Russia, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Surinam, Sweden, Switzerland, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, United kingdom of the Great Britain and Northern Ireland, United States of America, Uruguay and Venezuela.

Citizens from these countries must travel with a valid passport and a return airplane ticket to their country of origin. Upon arrival to Colombia, they must apply for an Entry Permit at the airport immigration.

Foreigners that enter the country with a Temporary Visiting Visa or an Entry Permit are not allowed to receive any type of salary or develop activities that are regulated by other types of Visa.


Immigration Requierements

Once you arrive at Colombia:

  • Comply before the Administrative Department of Security (DAS): Any foreigner that travels to Colombia with a Visa valid for more than three (3) months must register the Visa within fifteen (15) days of arrival at the Foreigner Registry of the Administrative Department of Security (DAS) and acquire a Foreigner Identification Card.
  • DAS: Calle 100 No. 11B 32, Bogotá, Colombia. Telephone: 6017200 DAS
  • Entry Permit Extension: Any foreigner with an Entry Permit,    valid for less than 180 days under the Temporary Visiting or Tourist Visiting category, that is about to expire should request the extension of the Permit before the Administrative Department of Security (DAS).
  • Permanence Permit: If a foreign citizen requires authorization for temporary permanence, or authorization to leave the Country when the Visa or Entry Permit has expired, a Permanence Permit should be requested before the Administrative Department of Security (DAS).

It is important to underline that foreign students traveling to Colombia must comply with Colombian Immigration Laws, and therefore, are solely responsible for maintaining their Visa or Entry Permit valid during the period of time they remain in the Country, and for all the expenses in which they may incur for said purpose.